Friday, May 1, 2009

Testing out OpenRC - An Universal init system


Talking yesterday with Roy Marples, the author of dhcpcd (among other things) he told me that perhaps I'd be insterested in another of his projects: OpenRC.

OpenRC provides a portable way to start, stop and keep track of services at boot/shutdown, just like the SystemV or BSD style init scripts.

I have to say that I'm very happy with the result after probing it, and definitly I'll use it for my distro. I only needed some tweaks and created some scripts for udev and others. I made a video showing up how the boot process looks like now.



Comparing with previous init scripts that I used (by using RC scripts from Arch and NetBSD's rc.d) doesn't seem to change much, just a few seconds faster.

Kudos for Roy for such great stuff, I'd be nice if I had knew about OpenRC before!

No comments: