Friday, April 17, 2009

libarchive-2.7.0 and openssl requirement

So libarchive 2.7.0 was released today, and after updating the package I noticed that the library required libcrypto, WTF? with XBPS that means it's not good, because libarchive is one of the few packages required to build the xbps-base-chroot meta-pkg. The configure script looks for some OpenSSL headers/functions and if they are found, OpenSSL is linked automagically.

I want to avoid having extra dependencies for a core library as libarchive is, even more if the feature that this dependency requires is rarely used (such as in my case)... so I made a simple patch that adds an option (--without-openssl) and reported it in http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/issues/detail?id=22

I hope that the developers do understand this and commit it just in time for the next version!

No comments: