Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Testing out bootchart with XBPS



I wanted to try out bootchart with the system I'm building through XBPS, just for curiosity; the results are not too bad: 25 seconds for a basic text system that starts network through dhcpcd, and some services like sshd, metalog, cron, portmap, mountd, nfsd, nfs locking, dbus and HAL. This can be improved if network is started graphically (via NetworkManager), and some services are not run by default, like setting the time via NTP; but for now I'm not too worried. For the record this is running in a VM with VMWare in Windows.

The GNU/Linux system I'm building uses sysvinit and BSD style initscripts, by using some portions from Archlinux rc scripts and the NetBSD's rc.d framework. It will be interesting to run bootchart again when I have a fully GNOME desktop, just for comparision with other distributions.

No comments: