Wednesday, December 3, 2008

compat_linux32 module broke my NetBSD!

I wanted to build the latest GNOME package available from pkgsrc for NetBSD, and I started removing all previous old packages to start with a clean set of new ones. All fine until Perl-5.10.0 executed a test via its configure script and NetBSD tried to autoload some modules for binary compatibility, that resulted in a panic while loading the compat_linux32 module due to a bunch of missing symbols.

The list of missing symbols were related to the fact that the module was missing to build some additional files from compat/linux, as well as symbols provided by the compat_netbsd32 module.

I still think that something is not working fine in how the kernel is handling those missing symbols, because IMHO, they should be treated as errors and not warnings!

Anyway I contributed a patch that fixed all issues, so that I can continue building GNOME again:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2008/12/03/msg007545.html


UPDATE

The patch has been applied by Andrew Doran and therefore problem has been fixed.

No comments: